Minor and major steps in
the history of the minifigure
from the LEGO Company Profile 2005
- The first minifigures are launched for the themes Town, Space and Castle. There were seven different figures to start with.
- Two months after the appearance of the first minifigures the first female minifigure arrived on the scene: a hospital nurse.
- Minifigures change their facial expressions. Now they can be either good or bad – and can even have a patch over one eye! Some of the figures are equipped with a wooden leg and hook. The Pirates are the first LEGO product range to top DKK 1bn (EUR 134m) in sales.
- The minifigure comes to life. In the computer game “Panic on LEGO Island” the minifigure makes its first-ever appearance as an animated character. The launch of this new game is preceded by extensive experiment in developing the figure’s movements and language.
- With the new Star Wars characters the minifigure makes its first appearance in a specific role. This personification of the minifigure is later extended to LEGO Harry Potter, LEGO Studios, LEGO Basketball and other series.
- In LEGO Football the minifigure is mounted on a spring – becoming a functional element. There is further development with LEGO Basketball – when the spring is used to activate the figure’s hip movement.
- For the first time in the history of the minifigure its yellow facial colouring is replaced by a more authentic skin colour. In LEGO Basketball there are both dark and light players, with hair-styling printed on the character’s head.